Skip to main content

Lovely Presents and My Favourite "Homestead" (ha!) Tools

Hi Guys :)
How is your week going?
Mine has been ok, not a chance of getting into the garden until today, when it was nice and sunny, and i ended up being too busy!
I got a rather lovely present from The Bearded Wonder... Some shelves for my pantry!
 (A glorified broom cupboard)
 I panicked for a while as it looked like it wasn't going to fit! 
Well.... i made it fit, through sheer force of will i think! ;) 
Until it took umbrage at my shoving and flaming slammed down on my big toe! And i was wearing sandals to add insult to injury!
Ouch :(


And this rather adorable little porcelain egg basket in the shape of a chicken!! 

It's our 5 year anniversary tomorrow! Where did that go?



I was tidying and organizing my pantry/broom cupboard, so i figured i might as well show you my favourite "homestead" tools
Why you'd be interested i have no idea, but i'm telling you anyway ;)

It isn't a term i use lightly, homesteading, but i could't think of another word for what me and The Bearded Wonder are trying to do
It sums it up pretty well. We don't live in a commune, and technically we don't live in a village, it is a "Township" according to Wikipedia but i don't really like that word. lol.

Broadly defined, homesteading is a lifestyle of self-sufficiency. It is characterized by subsistence agriculture, home preservation of foodstuffs, and it may or may not also involve the small scale production of textiles, clothing, and craftwork for household use or sale. Pursued in different ways around the world — and in different historical eras — homesteading is generally differentiated from rural village or commune living by isolation (either socially or physically) of the homestead

So, what do i use most?
This.

It is my best friend in the kitchen, it mixes, it churns (for butter when i remember to make it), It grates, slices, dices, juliennes, squeezes and sieves.
And best of all, it only cost me £1 with all of the attachments and doesn't cost me a penny in electricity! My biceps look great!


Another bargain, for the grand price of £1.50, my "tool shelf" well made, they have lasted me years.
From left to right- A Zester (Okay, i'll admit i don't use it often, but that's what i use it for!) An apple corer, a melon baller, peeler, pastry wheel and a tin/bottle opener


My favourite shelf in the pantry, holding all of my spices, herbs and baking things (and a rogue tin of tuna)

My "go to" book for hints and tips, from cooking and baking, removing stains, making your own polishes, to gardening and decorating it is my bible for household things

My other "new" bible, it is pretty well read and scuffed, and some of the info may well be out of date now, but it serves its purpose , for the most part. Found in a charity shop for 50p 2 yrs ago

And two more, How To Grow Herbs and Herbs And Health
Again my favourite books, i have had both for years, and i have used many of the recipes from the book below with great results for all sorts of ailments. 




Would anyone be interested if i put up a few recipes?
Let me know :)




Comments

  1. Recipes, absolutely! I love to get other people's ideas. I think that is what blogs are great for, sharing information, the good times and the bad, rejoicing over successes and commiserating over failures.
    I love all your op shop (that is what they are called in Australia) finds. There is so much great stuff in those shops. Especially your mixer, grater - does it have a brand name? I'd like to check it out. I try to use non-electric appliances - wheat grinder, coffee grinder, blender, good old-fashioned egg beater. Everyone else in the family think I am crazy, oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :) That can be my project for tomorrow then, as it is almost bedtime for me :( boo! (i hate bedtime, i still always have so much to do!) And that is so true! (i have had more disasters than i care to remember ;) )
      I adore Op shops, I practically live in them! I'm going to town tomorrow so i'll probably be coming home with more bargains :)
      The mixer is a JML Multi Chef, it is pretty old, and i think they discontinued it, they have one in the link below, but it oesn't have as many attatchments but does have a salad spinner
      (Should you have a desire to spin your salad. Why?)

      http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/food-preparation/chef-station-8-in-1-chopper-mixer+salad-spinner-+-edge-knife/invt/c0hce20100000001

      Maybe Ebay will come up with something better.
      I'd love a wheat grinder, to be able to grind my own flour. Oh my goodness that would be awesome! My wish list for Santa is growing pretty large!
      Well, you aren't crazy! (We know better, ignore them ;) )

      Delete
  2. Me to as I grow herbs and will be looking to grow a lot more different one's,loving this blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you :D <3 I shall be writing up a couple later, so do pop back :) xx

      Delete
  3. It is always interesting to see what other people use and have in their kitchens! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, i do love to see other people's kitchens, i'm terribly nosey! And it gives me ideas for things that i can add to my ever growing collection. (Don't tell The Hubby! ) <3 x

      Delete
  4. I think it's brilliant that you paid a pound for something you use so often and that does so many things, electric gadgets cost a fortune and end up breaking down at a crucial moment. I love your egg hen, I've always wanted one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love bargains! :) And my sentiments exactly! I'd much rather do something manually than rely on electric/ waste electric on something that will take a few minutes extra.

      I will admit i want a bread maker though. i just CAN'T bake bread! It turns out terrible no matter what recipe or method i use :(

      Delete
  5. Your little gadget looks very useful & your pantry cupboard is looking very tidy. Do you know I think I have a couple of the books you have above x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it few few weeks and it probably will be nowhere near as tidy, but i think having only a few shelves helps, i can't overload them ;)
      Have you found the books as useful as i have Jo?
      <3 x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated :) <3

Popular posts from this blog

Bullet Journalling, Seed Preparing And Yarning Along

Hi guys :) The other day, while scrolling through Pinterest, i came across the idea of a  Bullet Journal   The basic idea is to condense everything into one handy little book, if you click the link it will explain it much more succinctly than me. There's a video too :) This is a great journal for me as i can personalize how i like, everything is in one place and this year i may actually manage to be organized! I created my own little planner from an old hard back book that was falling apart I covered it in pretty wallpaper samples and added a pocket to slide in the blank notebook i got for Christmas And added a little cartoon me :) I am following the idea of the bullet journal for the most part, but the beauty of it is you can personalize it exactly to your needs I created a layout that suited me, with morning, afternoon and evening sections and my own little colour code system at the bottom, though this may change depending on if i find a

Drama!

Hi guys, sorry i haven't been around much this week, i've been a very bad blogging neighbour, but i will try and get around everyone's blogs this evening (This is my new mantra) What a bloody week! First, i was awoken by the Bearded Wonder in the early hours on Sunday morning having chest pains and violently shivering, my poor hubby has a heart murmur, so this was doubly worrying, though i distinctly remember saying "what do you expect me to do about it?" thinking he was just cold (i'm not a great thinker when i've just woken up lol) then grumpily told him to go make me a cup of tea to get his circulation going , then i sort of got my act together, 999 was called and i was instructed to give him 4 aspirin and wait for the ambulance to turn up. They came and checked him over and hooked him up to the heart monitor thingy whilst i rushed about like a headless chicken packing a bag, fully expecting to go to hospital, only to be told

Round Up

Hi guys, Happy New Year :D Would you believe it'll be a year in late Feb since we moved here, where did that go? And what a year! I've made so many new friends, in real life and through blogging, and i was kept busier than i ever expected to be. For which i am eternally grateful. When i first started this blog i had a list of things that i wanted to learn and do throughout the year Some of them i have done, but a lot seem to have fallen by the wayside, so i am going to keep the list and add to it for this year The Old List Crafts and Home Master the knitting machine- nope, but in my defense i need 4ply yarn which i am still looking for a bargain on. Make jumpers/socks/blankets etc from said machine- As above Crochet more clothes and things for the home- Check- i am currently crocheting a blanket, and have made a few small things including Christmas decorations Spin yarn-  Check! Weave-not yet, i have the kit, but just need to find the right p