Skip to main content

Woolfest 2015- A Feast For The Eyes


Hi guys! What a day we had yesterday at the famous Woolfest!
Oh my goodness, it was fantastic!

It was a pretty rubbish journey on the way.
Don't get me wrong, the views were absolutely stunning! But i'm not the worlds best traveler and spent most of the ride on the mini bus feeling very queasy. 
Up and down miles of hills and valleys is not the easiest way to travel when you've only eaten half a ham sandwich for breakfast (my own fault, i admit, i should have had something more substantial)

Anyway, where was i?
Oh yes. 
The yarn. 
Look at this.
Have you ever seen anything so stunning? 
This is the Technicolour Dreamcoat.
It was woven by community groups and young people in and around Sedburgh. 

So many amazing creations by talented artists



Beautiful creations 
And of course the sheep that make this happen!
                                  
Have you ever seen such a fluffy sheep?
These are called Valais Blacknosed Sheep and originally hail all the way from Switzerland!
So many colours! I admit i wanted to dive straight in the middle!
 Beautiful handmade tools, spindles, wheels, looms, the list was endless 
I managed to snap this before mum came and herded him away 

A true feast for the eyes. There were so many talented people, it was nice to be with my own kind!

A stunning baby cardigan made from alpaca fibre


Angora rabbits. Soooo fluffy! 
Recycled and upcycled blankets and clothes by The Woolly Pedlar, i love the way the colours complement each other 
Looking rather bored bless them! 
And of course Alpacas!
Bless them they look so scrawny without their coat!
If you look closely, the way they have been sheared makes them look like they have also been knitted! (In my mind anyway haha) 
Sadly, that is all the photos i got, as about an hour before we went back to mini bus i was jostled and i managed to lose my camera batteries :( 
I did, however, come home with a few bargains.
A drop spindle and carded and washed batting, ready to be spun
I couldn't wait to get going!
And some rather lovely bamboo circular needles from Skybluepink-Designs 


And perhaps my greatest bargain ever!
A full bag (0.4kg) of raw shetland fleece for £1!! 
It came from a Shetland sheep (not my picture) 
Source

It was being sold by a young lad, of around 12-13, and i was wandering around one of the many fleece stalls, minding my own business, happily enjoying the atmosphere when i heard him say to his mum "I think i'm just going to reduce this to £1" my ears pricked up and i think he got quite a shock when my head popped around the corner "did i hear you say £1?"
I'll give him credit, he tried to sell me another bag and would have sold both for £5, but sadly that was all i had left and i wanted to keep my options open in case i saw something else. I felt quite mean, as if i had a little more i would have gladly taken both bags, but alas, i couldn't.
 All it needs now is to be washed and carded then it is ready to spin.
I must find a pair of carders. Anyone want to lend me some to test? I'll send you some of the wool i eventually spin! haha (I can try, right?)
The only thing i'm not sure on is to dye, or not to dye? The actual natural colours are stunning, but i think i would like a nice variegated blue too. On the other hand, i could do both?1 ball natural and one dyed?
I'll ponder on it.


Of course, none of this could have happened if not for the amazing organizers from The Wool Clip.
 It is a Cumbrian co-operative, producing original and creative craftwork using wool and promoting British wool and traditional skills.
I think i can speak for all wool lovers, artists, knitters, crocheters, felters, spinners, dyers, weavers and everyone else when i say thank you! You have made so many people very happy
 (and so many husbands/wives/life partners broke! haha totally worth it!)

Don't forget, i shall be hosting the Whats Cooking? Blog Hop tomorrow, though it may be a little late as we have to go out. If i can figure out how to work it, i'll schedule it tonight :) 





Comments

  1. It looks a fantastic day out. I hope the queasiness didn't last too long. There looks to be some fantastic creations. I'm gutted I missed it. I only read about it on your previous post today. My own fault. Never mind, I guess there's always next year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once i'd eaten a bit more it wasn't too bad thankfully! haha :) If you want to go to a wool based event i know there is Yarndale in Yorkshire in September? I'm hoping to persuade everyone to go there too!
      xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience and day !!!!!! I enjoyed it so much ! It was like taking a mini trip for me :) and am so glad that you had so much fun :) Your friend across the pond <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a really great time!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we did! It was truly spectacular! I'm slowly starting to recover!haha :) xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated :) <3

Popular posts from this blog

Bullet Journalling, Seed Preparing And Yarning Along

Hi guys :) The other day, while scrolling through Pinterest, i came across the idea of a  Bullet Journal   The basic idea is to condense everything into one handy little book, if you click the link it will explain it much more succinctly than me. There's a video too :) This is a great journal for me as i can personalize how i like, everything is in one place and this year i may actually manage to be organized! I created my own little planner from an old hard back book that was falling apart I covered it in pretty wallpaper samples and added a pocket to slide in the blank notebook i got for Christmas And added a little cartoon me :) I am following the idea of the bullet journal for the most part, but the beauty of it is you can personalize it exactly to your needs I created a layout that suited me, with morning, afternoon and evening sections and my own little colour code system at the bottom, though this may change depending on if i find a

Drama!

Hi guys, sorry i haven't been around much this week, i've been a very bad blogging neighbour, but i will try and get around everyone's blogs this evening (This is my new mantra) What a bloody week! First, i was awoken by the Bearded Wonder in the early hours on Sunday morning having chest pains and violently shivering, my poor hubby has a heart murmur, so this was doubly worrying, though i distinctly remember saying "what do you expect me to do about it?" thinking he was just cold (i'm not a great thinker when i've just woken up lol) then grumpily told him to go make me a cup of tea to get his circulation going , then i sort of got my act together, 999 was called and i was instructed to give him 4 aspirin and wait for the ambulance to turn up. They came and checked him over and hooked him up to the heart monitor thingy whilst i rushed about like a headless chicken packing a bag, fully expecting to go to hospital, only to be told

Round Up

Hi guys, Happy New Year :D Would you believe it'll be a year in late Feb since we moved here, where did that go? And what a year! I've made so many new friends, in real life and through blogging, and i was kept busier than i ever expected to be. For which i am eternally grateful. When i first started this blog i had a list of things that i wanted to learn and do throughout the year Some of them i have done, but a lot seem to have fallen by the wayside, so i am going to keep the list and add to it for this year The Old List Crafts and Home Master the knitting machine- nope, but in my defense i need 4ply yarn which i am still looking for a bargain on. Make jumpers/socks/blankets etc from said machine- As above Crochet more clothes and things for the home- Check- i am currently crocheting a blanket, and have made a few small things including Christmas decorations Spin yarn-  Check! Weave-not yet, i have the kit, but just need to find the right p