Skip to main content

From Fleece To Yarn- A Spinning Journey

 Hi guys :D
After my wonderful bargain at Woolfest i thought you might be interested in seeing how it goes from raw fleece to yarn.


Now this is rather a new journey for me. I've spun before, but only with batts
 (ready washed and carded wool)
So, i lay me fleece out, inspect it and sort through it to get rid of any left over poo/debris and sort into smaller batches

I discover a funny looking yellow/orange gunk which is a mixture of lanolin, know as wool wax, it is a naturally occurring grease which waterproofs the wool (wonderful for your hands, it is found in many moisturizers and ointments), and suint (sweat)

I washed the wool in very hot water and detergent. You have to be very careful at this stage as if you agitate the wool too much it will felt! 
I then drain the water and set it out for the next rinse 
I will do this 3 times and then roll it in a towel to get rid of excess water

Then lay out to dry and hope for a sunny day tomorrow!



I'll carry on when it is dried and ready to card :)


Comments

  1. Loved seeing this process !!!! It is so neat and interesting :) Can't wait for more ! Thank you for showing this <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this before. It's fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing more. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, they are always appreciated :) <3

Popular posts from this blog

Bullet Journalling, Seed Preparing And Yarning Along

Hi guys :) The other day, while scrolling through Pinterest, i came across the idea of a  Bullet Journal   The basic idea is to condense everything into one handy little book, if you click the link it will explain it much more succinctly than me. There's a video too :) This is a great journal for me as i can personalize how i like, everything is in one place and this year i may actually manage to be organized! I created my own little planner from an old hard back book that was falling apart I covered it in pretty wallpaper samples and added a pocket to slide in the blank notebook i got for Christmas And added a little cartoon me :) I am following the idea of the bullet journal for the most part, but the beauty of it is you can personalize it exactly to your needs I created a layout that suited me, with morning, afternoon and evening sections and my own little colour code system at the bottom, though this may change depending on if i f...

Bits and Pieces

Hi all :) Life is going at a gentle pace for once, which will probably soon change once our paint etc is delivered (fingers crossed for tomorrow!!) and i have been enjoying a bit of crocheting :)  Like this adorable tea cozy, which i am immensely pleased with Working on the next one The colours reminded me of Cornish-Ware  (Handsome Bearded Wonder in the background :)  ) I also made a little wreath, it's rather skinny as it's an old embroidery hoop , but it works.  I've also got a "new" kitchen dresser, as you know i'm the mistress of improvisation ;)   The computer table and the pantry shelves are now happily residing in the kitchen, and shall look much nicer when they are painted. As our kitchen is so skinny this was the best picture i could get and i had to lean over the sink to get it hahaha :D   I'm also going to take off the doors and have some form of curtain going across instead

Drama!

Hi guys, sorry i haven't been around much this week, i've been a very bad blogging neighbour, but i will try and get around everyone's blogs this evening (This is my new mantra) What a bloody week! First, i was awoken by the Bearded Wonder in the early hours on Sunday morning having chest pains and violently shivering, my poor hubby has a heart murmur, so this was doubly worrying, though i distinctly remember saying "what do you expect me to do about it?" thinking he was just cold (i'm not a great thinker when i've just woken up lol) then grumpily told him to go make me a cup of tea to get his circulation going , then i sort of got my act together, 999 was called and i was instructed to give him 4 aspirin and wait for the ambulance to turn up. They came and checked him over and hooked him up to the heart monitor thingy whilst i rushed about like a headless chicken packing a bag, fully expecting to go to hospital, only to be told...